Monday, January 19, 2015

Coming Home


We went to the Mysore Palace two days ago. It was at least a four hour drive. I got to see the beautiful architecture and learn about the palace’s history. It really is an amazing place. Actually the palace we saw was the second one. The original was made of wood and it burned down because of a kitchen accident in preparation for someone’s wedding. That must have been a ceremony to remember, both for the couple and the cooks. The rebuilt palace uses a long-lasting fire-resistant material, not a bad idea. No photos were allowed inside, but there is a website for the palace. Inside were relics of royalty such as chairs, small boxes called caskets, portraits of royal family members and even an elaborate door made entirely of silver. Regardless of whether or not the nation was in poverty, you could still walk through your silver door every morning. It’s good to be king. Later we stopped by a Hindu temple and saw three large statues of various gods. It was also a beautiful sight. The state of India Bangalore is in turned out to definitely be my favorite stop on this journey, Goa coming in second.
The Mysore Palace

Actually I am typing this after 3am. I am going home today and right now I am quite tired. I have been going since 8AM yesterday morning. It has been a memorable journey. Coming from the perspective of someone who has lived in the same U.S. state since they were born, to becoming an international traveler was a large step in my life and I am glad to have taken it. I now feel more prepared for if and when the opportunity to travel arises again. For now though, I am going to savor being home.

No comments:

Post a Comment